Yes, you read right. I was completely baffled myself. I got nominated for the liebster award – my first award. The wonderful Laila Laurson from the blog From The Scars nominated me.
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is a virtual award for new bloggers with less than 200 followers on their site. It has been around since 2011 and continuous to make its loops giving new bloggers a boost in confidence and a pat on the shoulder. This award does not have a winner, but is rather a means of recognizing new bloggers that show potential. It is given out by bloggers to bloggers to help them be discovered and to commend them for the hard work they have already done. Needless to say, I feel honored to have received one.
Thanks to Laila!
I’ll be honest with you, when Laila nominated me I had only had a short look at her blog. But after she nominated me, I took the time to read her posts. She has a beautiful voice and the ability to take you on an emotional journey with her words. She will make you laugh and she will make you cry. But she will never make you feel alone. She calls her blog a roller-coaster and I couldn’t put it any better way. This is not to say that her blog is chaotic, on the contrary it is a daring adventure of a person brave enough to write real and raw in the one place that is the easiest to hide your true self – the internet. That alone makes her blog worth reading.
I encourage you to check out her blog From The Scars. I know that if you take the time to read her posts, they will move you the way they have moved me.
My favorite blog
This one was a tough one, there are so many great blogs out there that I read on a regular basis and that I feel are worth mentioning. However, I must admit my favorite is The Things We’ll Make because it is such an inspiration for my own life and blog. I’ve cooked and made many of Tracy’s recipes in the past and I love her voice, her creativity and her fearless willingness to try to do things herself. Without ever having met her, I feel like I have found someone that speaks my language in a world of so many languages. Thanks for being such an inspiration to me!
10 Random Facts About Me
- I am a little crazy. If you meet me, chances are you’d be like “whoa”. I can be super hyper, am easily excitable and nearly always motivated.
- I am an only child. Literally, I am the only person my age group in my family. I have one cousin but she is older than me. I always wanted to have siblings but it just never happened.
- I love dogs. I know it’s ironic since my page is called the Crafty Cat. But that is because I also adore cats. We have always had cats in my family. But I have been wanting a dog since I was 6 years old and I have never had one.
- I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, but I was born in Vienna, Austria and I am half American.
- I speak 4 languages and I rarely run out of things to say. One language just wasn’t enough for me to say all the things I needed to say, so I just kept learning more. I grew up speaking English and German. I also speak Spanish and am working on my Danish.
- My hair always changes. I don’t like wearing my hair the same way for very long. If you have known me for a while you will have witnessed the steady change of hairstyles, braids etc, I have gone through over the years.
- I have terrible eyes. I’m serious, I wear glasses in the shower when I need to shave. I have had glasses since I was 6 years old and I have worn them ever since.
- I like writing down things by hand. Even though I spend a bunch of time in front of the PC and type super fast. I still can’t help how much I love the old pen and paper. Same goes with books. I just couldn’t get used to a kindle so I gave it away.
- When I don’t blog, I work as a freelance translator. I translate from English to German and vice versa.
- I have a driver’s license but am an absolutely terrible driver. I really don’t like driving. I have been struggling with it for years.
Questions I received from Laila
What is your greatest achievement?
Wow that is a tough one. I have never thought about that. I think my greatest achievement is probably that I had the bravery to do a semester abroad in Colombia. I had never been that far away from home and I had never been in South America before. I am really proud of myself that I went and took the plunge into the great world out there. I met so many wonderful people and learned so much. I can only recommend to everyone to take at least one or two major trips in your life to places that are completely different from you home. This world is so diverse and beautiful. It would be a shame to miss out on experiencing it.
What is the most extreme thing you have done?
I am an absolute wuss. I am not an adrenaline seeker and I don’t like doing extreme things. I felt terrified even just watching my boyfriend bungee jump (he likes that kind of stuff). I guess the most extreme thing I ever did was jump off a cliff when I was a kid. I jumped down a 6 meter (19.7 feet) cliff into the ocean while on vacation in Greece. All the other kids did it, so I felt like I had to. It took me forever to jump and it hurt like hell. I never jumped again.
What inspired you to start your blog?
When I started making more and more things myself I started to realize how happy and inspired it was making me feel. For the first time in my life I felt like I was in control and like I could make a difference. It was incredibly empowering to be able to make something like yogurt myself at home. I wanted to share that feeling with others. I wanted to show people that we don’t need to be afraid to take back control and to rely on ourselves.
For how long have you been blogging?
I started the Crafty Cat in September 2017, so it is brand new and still a baby. But in a way i have always been bloggingI always kept diaries as a kid and I had a tumblr account in my younger years. I’ve always felt the need to write and to tell stories. However, The Crafty Cat is the first time I am truly doing it with the intention of being heard because I have finally discovered the message I want to share. It has been an absolute pleasure so far to bring this blog into existence and I can’t wait to see where this journey takes me.
What is your favorite movie and why?
Honestly, I am not a big movie watcher, I used to, but I just can’t seem to sit still long enough to watch a whole movie anymore. I also always get sad when a good movie ends, because I never get to find out the rest. I prefer TV shows they stick with you and grow with you over the years. It makes me feel more connected than a one-night movie. But if I did have to pick a favorite movie it would probably be iRobot. Will Smith is such a good actor and the story is just awesome.
What is your favorite quote and by whom?
What is your biggest weakness?
My biggest weakness goes along with my answer to question 8. I have trouble saying no to people and I tend to try to please. I have a habit or tendency to try so hard to make everyone happy that I will almost tear myself apart. It has gotten better as I have gotten older, but I still need to remind myself sometimes or see if I actually have the capacity to do everything I piled on my plate. If I am not careful I will overwhelm myself doing things for other to the point of absolute exhaustion.
If you could go back in time and tell your 10-year-old self one thing what would it be?
It is okay if not everyone likes you! That is probably both the hardest and the most important lesson I had to learn and in a way am still learning. I love helping and giving, but sometimes I can overdo this and it will turn into pleasing. There is a difference between wanting to help and wanting to please. The former creates an abundance and love and the latter is draining and can be toxic (at least that is the way I organize it in my head). I have caused myself so much pain bending over backwards trying to please and to have everyone like me. The truth is: Not everyone is going to like you in life!
What is your favorite hobby?
I love to create, it doesn’t matter what. It could be food, crafts, building things, planning a project. I know that is a pretty broad answer, but it is hard for me to pick just one hobby. There are so many fun things to do. The one red line through it all though is that if involves me creating something with my hands I will be happy.
How do you create new content, when it seems like everything has already been done?
I just do. No two things are ever the same (unless you copy/paste it). I focus on creating content that I love. That is the most important part. I try not to let myself get too distracted by what is out there but instead to focus on what I can give, provide and offer. I want to create content that will make people happy and that I am passionate about and proud of. We all walk our own path and (to tie in with what I wrote earlier) not everybody is going to like our stuff, but along the way we are gonna meet people that are going to like it. We are going to meet people that are going to want to come on this journey with us. I write my content for the people who’s language I speak, without ever having met them.
What is your favorite way to stay motivated?
I don’t know. I think, since I have been working from home for over 2 years now, I have just kind of learned to get the stuff I need to do done. That doesn’t mean I am not a huge procrastinator. I am! Certain things, like Netflix, I have to avoid (if I start a tv show I will not stop until I either have to or I have seen it all). My favorite way to get motivated would probably be through planning. I love to do lists and planning what I will do the next day. I easily get distracted so planning helps me.
The Official Rules of the Liebster Award:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”.
- For the 2017 Liebster Award, I will be shaking things up! Write a 150-300 word post about your favorite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This is optional, but if you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about yourself.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here or simply include the link below to the official rules website.)
- Select 11 questions for the individuals/blogs you nominated.
- Inform the people/blogs that you selected of their nomination for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
You can read more about it here.
My questions to the nominees
- Why do you blog?
- How did you come up with the name for your blog?
- What is one food or drink you cannot live without?
- What is something you are afraid of?
- How long have you been a blogger?
- If you could meet any person dead or alive who would it be and why?
- Tell a memorable story of when you where a child.
- What is your preferred social media platform and why?
- What advice would you give someone thinking about starting a blog?
- What is your favorite holiday and why?